- In progress: Postpartum Politics: Motherhood and Mental Health in Modern America (Under contract with University of Chicago Press)
- Governing Bodies: American Politics and the Shaping of the Modern Physique. University of Pennsylvania Press, Politics & Culture in Modern America series, 2018.
Articles and Chapters
- “Spitting on My Sources: Depression, DNA, and the Ambivalent Historian,” Journal of the History of the Behavioral Sciences (July 2022).
- “A Women’s Health Issue?: Framing Post-Abortion Syndrome in the 1980s,” Gender and History 33, (October 2021): 790-804.
- “Gender, Sexuality, and the State,” co-authored with Jennifer Mittelstadt, in Companion to American Women’s History, 2nd ed., Ed. Nancy A. Hewitt and Anne Valk, Wiley Blackwell Press, 2021.
- “Fears of a Nanny State: Centering Gender and Family in the Political History of Regulation,” in Shaped by the State: Toward a New Political History of the Twentieth Century, Ed. Brent Cebul, Lily Geismer, and Mason Williams, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2019.
- “Consuming Relief: Food Stamps and the New Welfare of the New Deal,” Journal of American History 76, March 2011: 1001-1022
- “Weighing in about Weight: Advisory Power in the Bureau of Home Economics,” in Remaking Home Economics: Resourcefulness and Innovation in Changing Times, Ed. Sharon Y. Nikols and Gwen Kay, Athens, Georgia: University of Georgia Press, 2015.
External Fellowships and Grants
- National Science Foundation Scholars Award; Science, Technology and Society Program, Award 1849533. 2019-2021
- Fellowship in the History of American Obstetrics and Gynecology, The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 2017
- Lillian Sholtis Brunner Fellowship, Barbara Bates Center for the Study of the History of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, 2017
- Short-Term Postdoctoral Fellow, German Historical Institute, 2013
- Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellow, Woodrow Wilson Foundation, 2011-2012
- Miller Center Fellowship in Politics and History, Miller Center for Public Affairs, University of Virginia, 2011-2012 (Now called the National Fellowship/Jefferson Scholars Foundation)
- National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant, Science, Technology, and Society Program, 2011
- Dean’s Fellowship in the History of Home Economics, Cornell University, 2011
Internal Fellowships and Grants
- Scholarly and Creative Activity (SCA) award, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, UNT, 2022
- Faculty Development Leave, UNT, 2022
- Creative and Research Enhancement Activity Time for Engagement (CREATE) grant, UNT, 2021
- Research Seed Grant, Research and Economic Development office, UNT, 2016
- The Crawford Family Fellowship in Ethical Inquiry, Pennsylvania State University, 2010-2011